Take a closer look to see what we have accomplished together for such a worthwhile cause. To date, we’ve raised $1,275,259, which has helped to grant more than 132 wishes.
Olympic Steel employees consistently exemplify our core value of Corporate Citizenship through a strong commitment to supporting the communities in which we live and work. We are proud to make a difference by giving our time, efforts and financial contributions to support the mission of national programs, like Make-A-Wish®, as well as local causes, such as food pantries, school supply drives and other organizations that serve those in need.
Granting Wishes, Changing Lives
When you work at Olympic Steel, you can make a significant impact – in our company… in the community… in the world. Nothing illustrates that concept better than our relationship with the Make-A-Wish® Foundation over the years.
Founded in 1980, Make-A-Wish® grants the wishes of children with life threatening illnesses, giving each child and his/her family a wonderful experience during a difficult time. Simply put, these wishes make life better for kids with critical illnesses.
Olympic Steel first became involved in 2004 with a company-wide campaign with the goal to grant a simple wish during National Volunteer Week. Through dedicated hard work and creativity – including silent auctions, raffles, jeans days and more – we raised enough money to grant three wishes: 6 year-old Eric, 8-year old Maria and 5 year-old Joseph were able to travel to Disney World with their families.
That was the beginning of something magical at Olympic Steel! Make-A-Wish® has become an important part of our corporate citizenship program, with amazing events happening at all of our divisions across the country each summer.
Some of the highlights of our work with Make-A-Wish® over the years include the following:
- 2007 – Olympic Steel was honored for granting the 6,000th wish for the Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana chapter of the Make-A-Wish® foundation.
- 2010 – We were recognized for our extensive work with the Make-A-Wish® Foundation at the Nasdaq Closing Bell ceremony.
- 2011 – We received the Distinguished Honoree at the Cleveland Big Wish Gala. Our fundraising that year totaled $78,350 which meant 12 wishes granted.
- 2012 – Chicago Tube and Iron along with Integrity Stainless joined forces with Olympic Steel, raising $84,172 and granting 12 wishes.
- 2015 – Olympic Steel reached a milestone, granting our 100th wish to a 6 year-old named Carly who was battling heart disease.
- 2017 – Olympic Steel was honored as the first donor in N.E. Ohio to receive the Hope Stout Award, in recognition of reaching $1 million in employee contributions since we began our efforts in 2004!
In 2019, Olympic Steel employees are planning fundraising events at all of our divisions, demonstrating what it really means to be a good corporate citizen in our communities. Together, we are making a real difference. To date, we’ve granted 132 wishes… with many more to come in the future!